Last Updated on 4 months by James D. Miller
Reciprocating saw, Circular saw and Jigsaw is the kind of tools people come across while renovating their house setting and home décor. Not all the commoners know well of the vital information about these tools and therefore they are confused about the differences between them.
One thing that is common about these tools is that they are often used for home projects. And day by day their usages are swarming to a large extent. Now you must be thinking why these saws are so popular. The reason behind it is that people have become more conscious of how their home looks. The serenity indeed lies in a well-decorated house.
Therefore, saws are an essential tool to make different types of home projects, be it scratching some old furniture or creating something entirely new.
There is no saying of which one is best among reciprocating saw, circular, and jigsaw until we know your preference. Each saw is best for separate jobs.
If you find it confusing to know the difference between them, then don’t worry, you are not alone. Lots of people are unaware of the sole difference among them and that is why we have designed this article to make a comparative study on Reciprocating saw vs Circular saw vs Jigsaw. Stay with us!
Reciprocating Saw vs Circular Saw vs Jigsaw-Which is Better & Why?
Table Of Contents
- 1 Reciprocating Saw vs Circular Saw vs Jigsaw-Which is Better & Why?
- 2 Factors To Consider Before Buying A Saw
- 3 Conclusion:
What is a Reciprocating saw?
The reciprocating saw is a kind of machine saw through which you can cut by pull and push, that is reciprocating manner.
It is often used for the purpose of tree-limb cutting, clean cutting, and demolition work. As well, to make cuts on hard materials it takes the help of the abrasive coated blade.
What is a Circular saw?
The Circular saw is a kind of power saw that cuts through materials in a rotary motion. People often use it over other saws for its blade itself that is able to perform cross cuts, rip-cuts, or both at the same time.
A circular saw can run by electricity as well as a gasoline engine or hydraulic motor. One can use it discarding the need for a separate engine source.
What is Jigsaw?
With the combination of a powerful motor and reciprocating saw blade, a Jigsaw makes irregular curvy cuts.
Accordingly, it is used for making stenciled designs on metal, wood, or other types of materials.
Differences Between Jigsaws And Reciprocating Saws
- The jigsaw comes with a complex kind of design whereas the Reciprocating saws take the initial designs from hacksaws.
- Jigsaws appear with vertical layers of design and as a result, it is more compact. The reciprocating saws include hognose on the other hand.
- The average weight of jigsaws are six to twelve pounds and the average weight of reciprocating saws are three to five pounds.
- Jigsaws are usable for compound and bevel cuts. The reciprocating saws on the other hand are preferable for vertical and horizontal strokes.
- You can use jigsaws for fewer precision works. On the contrary, Reciprocating saws are for mainly demolition projects.
- The price often varies. Generally speaking, the price of jigsaw runs between $30-180 while the price for reciprocating saw differentiates between $20 to $1000. There is no saying that which saw is cheaper since we see the price to be widely varied.
Difference Between Reciprocating Saw And Circular Saw
- The Reciprocating saws are an engine with knife-like notched blades. On the contrary, the Circular saws feature disc-like varying blades.
- There is a noticeable difference between the cutting capacity of the two types of saws. For example- a reciprocating saw cut through a plank of wood faster than a circular saw. However, the reciprocating saw is more likely to leave a rough edge and the circular saw will leave a comparatively clean plank edge.
- The way the two kinds of saw appear is also different. The reciprocating saw appears elongated and as a result, is it held like a rifle. The Circular saw has the blades like a disc and placed in a middle circular shape.
- As regards the price, the reciprocating saw is cheaper comparing to circular saws. The price range for the reciprocating saw is mostly between $50-150.
As the circular saw renders more precise cuts, it is expensive. It roughly runs between $100 – $250.
Common Usage Of Jigsaw
As you can use a jigsaw on parallel or curved lines you make use of them on:
- Tight spaces.
- Wood or laminate to make straight edge cuts.
- On plasterboards to make holes for electrical outlets.
- Molding for bevel cuts.
Therefore, jigsaws work better on wood and plastic rather than on bolts or nails. Yes, you can use them to cut through metal but their short strokes are not efficient enough for demolition jobs.
Common Usage of Reciprocating Saws
The reciprocating saws can deliver long powerful strokes so that you use them on projects like cutting lumber, taking down walls, etc. It delivers the kind of power on needs for heavy jobs. Also, reciprocating saws are well-known for making quick cuts.
Common Usage of Circular Saw
A circular saw has multiple usages. The circular saw provides a longer self-life. As a result, sawmills use circular saws for cutting through large-sized timbers to make logs and firewood. Also, there is a type of circular saw that is also known as a cold saw, it is particularly used on metals like bronze, steel, brass, etc. Hence, a circular saw suitable for both cross-cuts and straight cuts.
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Saw
You should always be careful than sorry. And that’s why a buying guide is a must. For beginners, it is difficult to come to terms with what they need from a variety of saws in the market. Sometimes, even a professional needs to make a smart inquiry to update his tools.
So, let’s traverse through the following points first.
What Kind Of Material Does Saw Work On?
While buying, this appears as the most important question because you have to know properly which material does the saw work on. Imagine you have bought a saw and it is not cutting through materials as you wanted it to be. A total waste of money and time!
So, look for the right saw for the right material. Such as a tile saw will work best on cutting tile, power saws on the contrary are applicable for multiple purposes. A circular saw suits well for cross-cuts. A jigsaw is better for tight spaces. Just like these, you need to know your material first.
What is Your Budget?
Not everyone can afford to burn a hole within their pocket for every single job. Thereupon, you have to buy a tactfully. If your tight budget and have several projects to finish then you should go for the kinds of saw that are applicable for multiple intensions.
What Type Of Cuts Does It Make?
While checking the saw in the shop, make sure you are looking for what kind of cuts it can make. Different saws are capable of making different cuts, for instance- vertical cuts, straight cuts, cross-cuts, horizontal cuts, angled cuts, and so on. All of such cuts are for different types of projects. So, make an observation on your material and the size, then choose the saw with cuts that is preferable for it.
Is It Acceptable For Precision Work or Large Projects?
As we already have mentioned that some saws are for demolition while some are for precision work. The demolition work, therefore, requires great force and the precision work needs slight force. So your choice should solely be based on your project.
How Many Times Will You Use The Saw?
What Features Are Important To You?
When you search for the best saw you simply won’t recognize the best pick for you until you are aware of what is important to you. Say, for example- you may prefer flexibility for multiple usages; you may want a power saw or a kind of saw that can reach tight spaces. Thus, versatility, control, power, flexibility, and comfort are the requirements and it is hardly possible that you would find them all in one.
Reciprocating saw vs Circular saw vs Jigsaw, After discussing in detail we have come to the fact that not every saw sits well with every project. The reciprocating saw is a project which needs powerful saws and jigs saws for precise tasks. The circular saw is a versatile cutting one, if you want to buy one with multiple benefits then you may give the circular saw a try. On the line of the best budget-friendly jigsaw, we would recommend Porter-Cable-PCC650B. For the best reciprocating saw, you may want to find something like DEWALT DWE304. As for a circular saw with an affordable price tag, we would recommend Makita XSS02Z 18V LXT.